MRCKC Communications Officer (PIO)
Position Summary: The Communications Officer/Public Information Officer (PIO) will chair the Communications Work Group. With the Communications Work Group, the Communications Officer will oversee communications to MRCKC volunteers and regional partners. The Communications Officer will work closely with Communication Work Group members to communicate through social media sources and to develop a newsletter that can be sent regularly to MRCKC partners and volunteers. The Communications Officer will also work with the Work Group to keep the Communications Kit updated so that it can be taken to any public event.
Elected By: MRCKC Full-Corps or by appointment of the director
Length of Term: 3 years, with eligibility for re-election to one additional 3 year term, if desired
Time Commitment: 100% of Chaired Meetings, 80% of Command & General Staff Meetings, 60% of Full Corps Meetings,
2 Events open to all trained MRCKC Volunteers
Reports To: The Command & General Staff
- Chairs the Communications Work Group to establish policies and procedures for communicating to Medical Reserve Corps of Greater Kansas City volunteers, MRCKC stakeholders, and the public
- With the Communications Work Group, assists the Volunteer Coordinator in managing the Communications Go Kit (the materials dedicated to community events for recruiting and educating the public). With the Communications Work Group, also works to recruit, schedule and manage volunteers who would like to represent the MRCK at community educational events (i.e., Preparedness Fairs, etc.)
- Works with the Communication Work Group and the Volunteer Coordinator to maintain social media websites
- Works with the Communications Work Group and the Volunteer Coordinator to maintain the MRCKC website
- Participates in at least two MRCKC Events per calendar year. Events must be open to all trained MRCKC Volunteers and cannot be an MRCKC Executive Committee or Workgroup meeting. Examples include but are not limited to: Community outreach events, training, workshops, and regional exercises.
- Responds to requests for information via telecommunications within 48-hours of receipt for non-urgent messages and within 24-hours of receipt for urgent messages
- Completion of all training required of MRCKC Volunteers
- A commitment to the value and mission of the MRCKC
- Knowledge, experience and appreciation for the work of volunteers
- Comprehensive understanding of how the MRCKC integrates into the KC Metro Region
- Comprehensive understanding of Regional Homeland Security Coordination Committee structure, policies and methods of operation
- Experience with common communications equipment including, but not limited to, cell phones, telecommunications, fax machines, and radios
- Previous experience as a Public Information Officer or ability to complete sufficient training within 6months of assuming position
- Positive working relationship with KC Metro stakeholders and ability to demonstrate diplomacy when working with local, state and federal planning and response partners
- Ability to pass a City of Independence background check
For more information about the Medical Reserve Corps of Greater Kansas City, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.